Thursday, March 08, 2012

Morning Sickness

On my 10th week of my pregnancy, I had a terrible morning sickness (nausea and vomiting).  It became really persistent  (not only in the morning but in any time of the day) that I need to take a leave of absence in my work so I can have a full rest.   It was really that bad since I also lost my appetite. My sense of smell has also became sensitive.  I remember that each day, I was vomiting when I did not even take something to eat. I felt so frustrated at that time.  I really felt that I am like dying because the nausea and vomiting made me really weak.  I was always praying and asking God's help for our (me and my baby's) comfort and strength .  Due to my condition, I was confined for three (3) days as I was already dehyrated.  I am just relieved that my baby is doing well  inspite of everything I am going through.  At that time, I was afraid that my baby will not get enough nutrition.  But my OB told me that the baby will get food from the placenta and that my vitamins are sufficient for her nourishment and growth.  She also made sure that my check-up routine included ultrasounds and monitors of my baby's heartbeat.

After I was hospitalized, I was able to go to work.  I was already 15 weeks pregnant then.  Slowly, my condition is getting better.  I just make sure that I have something mint I can chew on.  I usually have Orbits with me or any sugar-free candies which I can take incase the nausea comes in.  My OB advised me to eat small frequent meals, to take my vitamins regularly, and not to worry (as this will not help me at all). 

My OB told me that the medical term for this persistent nausea and vomiting is hyperemesis gravidarum.  Based on my research, it is an uncommon disorder in which extreme, persistent nausea and vomiting occur during pregnancy and this condition might lead to dehydration. It usually occurs during the first trimester of pregnancy. (This is exactly what's been happening to me then).

I am just glad that I was able to overcome the said condition.  Thanks also that we now have the so-called "internet" so I can easily do some research.  "Google" has in fact been one of my bestfriends during that time and til present.

Ofcourse, never forget to trust in the Lord (have faith) as I believe nothing is impossible with Him as long as you also do your part.

To those pregnant women who has been undergoing the same, you may check out this website:  hyperemesis gravidarum or browse the net for more information.  I know your ordeal as I have been there too.  Don't lose hope.  Things will surely get better. Be strong for your baby!  ^v^

No comments:

Post a Comment