Friday, March 23, 2012

My 10 Years in the Government

Let me share you a part of myself.  I have not mentioned before that I work in the government.  I am not just a working mom. I am also a public servant.(^v^)

I have been in the government for almost 10 years.  (that's already a milestone on my part.. lol!).  My appointment was dated April 30, 2002 (that would be one month from now.. yey!).  It left me wondering what have I accomplished for myself after these years.  Well, there are many changes that took placed.  I got promoted thrice, awarded with a house and lot (from NHA), finished my master's degree, got married, and had a baby.  It may sound easy but really it's no bed of roses.  There are times when I had no motivation to go to work.  It got boring for a while. Every day is like a routine.  This is the time when I decided to go back to school. It took a lot of determination, focus, and patience on my part to pursue my studies.   It was in December 2007 that I earned the degree on Master in Public Administration. Finally, I graduated.  All my hardwork paid off . 

I also considered my work as a privilege.  To be of service to your country and fellowmen is a big thing.  Just to recollect, I have been formerly elected as a Barangay Kagawad (Councilman) in our district before entering government service.  I was the youngest who won during our term.  I served our barangay for five (5) years.   During my term, I learned to mingle with different kinds of people (from politicians to the less privileged ones).  I also gained a lot of inaanaks (godchildren) during those days.  It was definitely a humble and learning experience.

Going back... For mothers like me, working in the government is an advantage, since you only work for eight (8) hours (the usual schedule of an ordinary government employee).  You have  weekends to bond with your family.  There are vacation and sick leaves in case of emergency and filial obligation plus official holidays to spend with the family.  There are also some downsides though.  In terms of  monetary consideration, it really depends with the agency you are employed to.  I know you can earn more in private companies especially if you are an achiever.  But when it comes to job stability, having a career in the government is a wise move.

Let me also share with you.... Yesterday (March 22, 2012), was our office's 115th Founding Anniversary.  There was an awarding ceremony for the retirees who served the government from 15 to 30 years and above.  Our Head of Office was present to grace the event.  He delivered a speech.  It was a heartwarming one.  He thanked every employee for all the efforts and service rendered.  He also acknowledged the retirees' dedication and commitment to the job.  He also asked those who are still in the service (like me) for our cooperation, commitment, dedication, and continuous support.  It feels good to know that we are also appreciated in our work.

To end my story, I don't know what's in store for me in the future... what really lies ahead... maybe another 10 years or more in the government service...

Whatever will it be, only time can tell.  ^v^


No comments:

Post a Comment